Dig deeper into Permaculture: watch our favorite documentaries free on YouTube.
Permaculture is based upon three ethics and 12 principles that can be applied to virtually any system. Once you have a basic understanding, you can apply these concepts to any given situation.
#1- Observe and interact – harmonious relationship between nature and people.
- Farm for the Future
- BBC- How Plants Communicate and Think
- What Plants Talk about
- Body Language Documentary
- The Secret Life of Plants
#2- Catch and store energy – focus on building healthy living soil–
#3- Obtain a yield – design systems for self reliance- planting food forests with diminishing energy inputs maximizing future outputs–(our most favorite hopeful films for the future!)
- Greening the Desert and 3 clips of food Forests
- Growing food in the desert
- How to Green desert
- Rehabilitating degraded land
- Green Gold
#4- Apply self-regulation and accept feedback – designing self-reliant and energy efficient systems.
#5- Use and value renewable resources and services -think of our children; ahead seven generations
- Gasland & The Sky is Pink (make sure you get the real Josh Fox videos, not the gas industry’s hit pieces from buying his name on Google)
- Flow, For the Love of Water- on Water Privatization
#6- Produce no waste – value frugality, reduce, refuse, and reuse, before recycling
- The Story of Stuff– and other short films in Annie Leonard’s Story of Stuff Project
#7- Design from patterns to details – observing and using patterns from nature
- Permaculture 101 – start here, and look for more from Geoff Lawton
- Part 2 The spiral – inner worlds outer worlds
#8- Integrate rather than segregate – valuing and utilizing connections
#9-Use small and slow solutions – designing to highest purpose with minimal output
#10- Use and value diversity- providing insurance against the vagaries of nature and everyday life
#11- Use edges and value the marginal – expansion of the edges increases system productivity and sustainability
#12- Creatively use and respond to change – envision and create the future