What to bring:
Travel light with only what you need. We provide towels, blankets, sheets, mosquito nets, work clothing, rubber boots, hats, gloves, and slip-on crock knock-off footwear.
- Light weight, long-sleeved shirts and pants (bring summer wear only if you plan to travel to the beach or lower elevations)
- Tall socks
- Biodegradable shampoo, soap, etc.
- Sweater or jacket for the cool mornings and evenings
- Light-weight rain jacket with hood
- Headlamp or flashlight
- All-natural bug repellent
- Yoga Mat
- Headphones or earplugs if you’re sensitive to animal noises at night.
- Bicycle shorts and SPD shoes or other shoes fit for bicycling. We supply the required helmets and reflective gear.
- Mollison’s Introduction to Permaculture, (if you have one), a notebook, and writing implements.
- Deva cup or biodegradable feminine products for the humanure system
What not to bring: Please keep a small footprint.
- Leave valuables at home. The humidity, termites, ants, and who-knows-what eat books, paper, silicone sonicare devices, wood, leather, and other precious things.
- Keep all electronics inside a water-proof covering.
- No illegal drugs (marijuana is illegal in Costa Rica), alcohol, tobacco, firearms, drama, or addictions. We’re okay with light drinking on special occasions.
- No garbage. If you can’t compost it or turn it into something useful, please pack it out. We don’t have curbside garbage collection and there is no glass recycling here. Taking the garbage out means hauling it uphill on foot or on a bicycle for a mile.