Patos Suertudos is a permaculture demonstration site in Costa Rica. Our intention is to harmonize with nature to transition degraded lands into “gardens of Eden”.
“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― R. Buckminster Fuller
Guests to Patos Suertodos learn by immersion into a lifestyle of permaculture design ethics and principles practicing a wide variety of permaculture techniques in daily life.
Patos Suertudos, offers guests housing with farm to table healthy delicious meals in a safe place to learn and grow. This is eco-tourism Permaculture-Style with a variety of workshops and individualized curriculum.
- Passive solar hot water systems
- Solar electric energy
- Cooking in a simple wood-fired earth rocket kitchen
- Solar cooking, parabola
- Zone design planning
- Vermicomposting, wormbin
- Germinating bed and green house
- Keyhole gardening
- Humanure composting system
- Herb spiral garden
- Herb tea gardens
- Kitchen gardens
- Medicinal plants and preparation
- Companion planting and biodiversity in space and time
- Grey-water systems
- Natural Building with bamboo and earth
- Designing for local climate
- Designing to ensure safety and soil sustainability over time
- Trail design and building on slopes to prevent erosion
- Vetiver grass and and other plants for erosion control and filtering water
- Food Forestry- planting for future, shading out pasture, limiting pastures for sustainable livestock production and erosion prevention
- Wood-forests for construction wood and cooking
- Bicycling as primary mode of transportation
- Documentaries and discussions about our roles in healing ourselves and the planet
- Moon phases garden planning
- Seed and plant banking, saving, and sharing
- Biochar production as byproduct of cooking, used for soil enhancement
- Local food production
- regenerative growing soil systems
- Spring water and water supply backup systems
- Partnering with locals promoting permaculture and regenerative practices
We’re not alone. A world-wide permaculture movement is emerging from the ground up.
Join the fun.
Learn More about following the ethics and principles of Permaculture with this free booklet from David Holmgren, one of the founders of the movement: